The holiday season is generally a time when the home buying and selling process slows down due to the weather and vacations. Selling your home during the holidays is possible if you follow some important guidelines. The holiday season generally brings serious buyers, so you may even sell your home faster than average.
- Hire a reliable agent. This might be the most important part of the selling process- no matter what time of year it is. It’s particularly crucial during the holidays, however, because many agents choose to go on vacation during this time. Have an honest conversation with your agent before committing to them to ensure they will be there for you during the entire selling process.
- Avoid overdecorating. Decorating during the holiday season is one of the best parts about it. There’s nothing quite like putting up a Christmas tree or lighting a menorah with friends and family. Too many decorations can take away from the home’s best features and turn potential home buyers off. Keep decor tasteful and minimal so that the features of the home can still shine.
- Get inventive with curb appeal. Since you’re selling during the winter months, you don’t have the advantage of fresh flowers and pretty trees growing outside. You can still make your home look inviting from the curb by cleaning up leaves, shoveling snow from walkways, putting up shimmering Christmas lights, and displaying a wreath on the front door.
- Take advantage of the holiday spirit. The holidays are a time for togetherness. You can make your home feel even more inviting for potential home buyers by offering them some freshly-prepared baked goods like cut-out cookies, burning candles that emit a delicious holiday smell like cinnamon or apple, and put on cheerful holiday music during showings and open houses.
- Keep safety in mind. Along with the cold weather comes some safety concerns for homeowners. Keep potential buyers safe by shoveling driveways and sidewalks and putting rugs by the front door so they can wipe their shoes and avoid slipping.
Selling your home during the holidays is possible and may even work out to your advantage if you follow these helpful tips